I recently read 20 Things You Didn’t Know About Me at Dear Crissy and was…inspired, as they say.
2. I attended the University of Akron and graduated with two degrees, in History and Political Science. I originally pursued a Business Major, then toyed with Sociology, then found a most inspiring history professor who changed everything. However, Political Science offered some really cool courses — and it seemed like it was where the future movers and shakers congregated, so I majored in that, too. I ended up about two courses short of minoring in Spanish (go figure), and also took part of in their Conflict Management program, earning Certificates in Racial Conflict and Political Conflict.
3. I worked as a copy editor for about five years at my university newspaper. I also was a News Editor, Opinion Editor, and Arts & Life editor. In addition, I was a staff writer, editorialist, and columnist. I also was on staff at the local newspaper (of a rather large city).
5. I don’t have a single favorite movie, but more like a Top 5: The Godfather, Jaws, Halloween, Arsenic and Old Lace, and The Big Lebowski.
6. I went to Catholic school for 12 years. My high school was an all-girls school.
7. When I was in grade school and high school, I wanted to be either a journalist (at one point, I was hoping to go into sports journalism) or an accountant.
9. Speaking of the outdoors, I have never — as in literally never ever — gone to the bathroom outside. Never.
11. Speaking of Christmas, I am the biggest Christmas freak I know. We decorate for Christmas in early November (at the latest), and our house is decked out from floor to ceiling in lights and decorations and greenery, you name it. We also get the biggest Christmas trees we can fit into the house, like 10 feet tall and about six feet across. We have a problem.
12. I once won a trip to Cancun. And it was not a scam.
13. I have never eaten a brussel sprout or a bite of asparagus. Or lima beans. Oh, and I hate onions. Like hate hate.
14. I love dogs and my favorite breed is the German Shepherd. I’ve had two. My first German Shepherd was adopted from a humane society. I named him Ozzy and he was completely devoted to me. Within a month, he got very ill and I took him to the vet, who immediately took him into surgery. He discovered that he was full of cancer and had to be euthanized. I was crushed. About a year or so later, I rescued another German Shepherd and named him Ginzo. He was borderline obsessed (to put it mildly) with me. One time, after I went to work, he jumped through the window screen to follow me. On more than one occasion, he gnawed on the doorknob in an attempt to follow me when I left the house. After he got over that obsessive behavior, he would just wait and wait and wait for me to return. While I was gone (if anyone else was in the house), he would lay on my side of the bed until I arrived home. If he was alone in the house, he would sit on the front porch, at the screen door, waiting for me to return. I had to find him a new home when my house was destroyed in a fire and I had to stay in an apartment while months of reconstruction took place. It was devastating.
15. In 2012, I tweeted one of the Phillies, asking him to hit a home run for me while I was sick. He tweeted me back, saying he would. And he did. True story. No, seriously…you can even read about the time that Jimmy Rollins hit a homerun for me.
17. I am a little bit of a spaz when it comes to health issues. I personally suffer from a number of health problems, but I also have a less-than-stellar family medical history. My father died of lung cancer, both of his parents had cancer (but survived it), and his mother had Alzheimer’s. On my mother’s side, an uncle died of cancer, my grandfather had heart disease and Parkinson’s, and my grandmother had Alzheimer’s. My son also had cancer (and survived). I’m not a hypochondriac but, well, I can get a little anxious when it comes to my health.
18. I want to write a book. I’m working on it.
20. I watch things I enjoy over and over. And over again. For instance, I always — always — watch The Godfather when they do Godfather marathons on Bravo. Ya know, like when they show The Godfather, then Godfather II, and then repeat, all weekend? Yeah. I watch it all weekend. Even when they play that 9-hour biopic of the two movies spliced together, so they’re in chronological order, with added scenes. I’ve also seen Halloween and Jaws probably 300 times each (that’s probably a conservative estimate). I watch reruns of The Office and Seinfeld and Cheers and Frasier (Hallmark plays reruns every night from 10 til midnight and then from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. — don’t judge me, I have trouble sleeping!) and Monk and…well, you get the idea…so often that I usually know them word for word. They’re better than most of the shows on TV now (shout-out to Modern Family, The Middle, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Psych, and Wilfred — you’ve made the cut, my television friends).
So, there ya have it…20 Things You Didn’t Know About Me. Does it help explain things?