I recently helped clean out my grandmother’s house. It was one of those things you do that you don’t really want to do…but it had to be done. It turned out to be enriching, in several ways. My mother and I spent one day just in her bedroom.
Boy, did it bring back some memories of her unbelievable style. It reminded me of some of her timeless fashion tips as well.
Timeless Fashion Tips, courtesy of Elfie
1. As you get older, try to wear glasses with a tint. My grandmother rarely appears in a photograph where you can see her eyes. Even her regular prescription glasses sported a light brown tint. Why? My grandmother said that your eyes are a dead giveaway to your age and you will look years — seriously, many years — younger if your eyes are cleverly hidden behind a flattering pair of tinted glasses. Trust me, as the years go on, this might become one of your favorite timeless fashion tips!
2. Try to wear shoes with slight elevation, if possible. No, she didn’t mean wearing five-inch platforms. Don’t hurt yourself! But if you can wear shoes with a slight to moderate heel, you look slimmer and it makes your legs look better. Again, one of those great (and flattering!) timeless fashion tips…because we all know how the whole heels vs. flats thing goes.
3. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. Pay attention to every detail. Scarves, hair accessories, belts, pins, gloves, jewelry, bags, you name it — they each played an integral part of every outfit.
4. A big aspect of your style is how you present yourself. Stand up straight, head up, shoulders back, walk gracefully, and so on. Basically, carry yourself with class and dignity. It goes without saying (or, it should, anyway) that this qualifies as one of the most important of the timeless fashion tips. It doesn’t matter what you’re wearing if you carry yourself like a bum. Your clothes and accessories don’t make YOU — you make THEM. You can’t dress like Audrey Hepburn and then talk like a sailor and walk like a dude and think you’re pulling it off. Cause you’re not.
5. Never, ever buy retail — but always shop smart and savvy. My grandmother regularly shopped at discount stores and consignment stores to add to her closet, or to her jewelry box. She didn’t believe in “excess” (having lived through the Depression in post-World War I Germany and all that) but she did have a moderate amount of shoes and bags and clothes and accessories — because she took excellent care of everything she owned throughout her lifetime, so everything lasted a long, long time. And, in keeping with smart and savvy shopping, one of the most sensible timeless fashion tips is to buy items that will stand the test of time. Classic pieces that you can use and coordinate for years to come were definitely her rule of thumb!
Like my grandmother, you can also never, ever buy retail — and do some smart and savvy shopping — with the help of Coupons.com! As luck would have it, I was provided this opportunity through Fashionsita Events via Coupons.com, and they’ve generously offered my readers a chance to win one of 10 gift cards!
To help you buy smart and savvy, Coupons.com is giving away a total of $500 in Nordstrom and Kohl’s e-gift cards! Of course, you’ll also want to check out Coupons.com for great Nordstrom offers!
This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only and ends May 7 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Enter via the Rafflecopter form below…all you have to do is leave a comment with some of the timeless fashion tips your mom gave to you!
I received a promotional item as part of this sponsored opportunity. However, my opinions are 100% honest and 100% mine.