“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.” (Victor Hugo)
Music is often considered to be the soundtrack of our life. It is important for so many reasons — for some it inspires, for others it motivates…for so many, it evokes memories, good and bad. All of my favorite love songs evoke good memories, of course, and each for different reasons
11. “When a Man Loves a Woman” (Percy Sledge) Yes, it’s true. Even I can fall prey to cheesy love songs. Don’t judge me.
10. “She’s Got a Way About Her” (Billy Joel)
9. “Let’s Stay Together” (Al Green) This song got a big boost after President Obama belted out a few lines (quite well, I might add).
8. “The Way You Look Tonight” (Tony Bennett)
7. “At Last” (Etta James) This song also owes a great debt to President Obama, as it became wildly popular after Beyonce sang it at his first inaugural ball in 2009. I confess, I was one of those who fell in love with it then…hence why it is one of my favorite love songs.
6. “Fly Me to The Moon” (Frank Sinatra)
5. “Simple Man” (Lynyrd Skynyrd) Not a “typical” love song, but you can’t deny that this song is about love.
4. “Tracks of My Tears” (Smokey Robinson & the Miracles) Love, love, love this song.
3. “Summer Wind” (Frank Sinatra) The summer wind, came blowin’ in — from across the sea/It lingered there, so warm and fair — to walk with me/All summer long, we sang a song — and strolled on golden sand/Two sweethearts…and the summer wind. (Need I say more?)
2. “Maybe I’m Amazed” (Paul McCartney)
1. “Sweet Child o’ Mine” (Guns ‘n’ Roses) This song is near and dear to my heart…for personal reasons and definitely tops the list of my favorite love songs. Again, don’t judge me.
I didn’t say these were the best love songs — I said they were my favorite. Big difference. Huge.