68 Flares 68 Flares ×
The debates didn’t do much as far as illuminating the plans of either presidential candidate, but they sure did give us some decent one-liners and zingers.
- “The 1980s are now calling and asking for their foreign policy back.” (Obama, regarding Romney’s statement that Russia was our greatest geopolitical threat)
- “They brought us whole binders full of women.” (Romney, on how we actively sought out women for leadership positions)
- “Well, Governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets, because the nature of our military’s changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers where planes land on them. We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines….it’s not a game of Battleship.” (Obama, in response to Romney’s assertion that the Navy hasn’t been this small since 1916)
- “I don’t look at my pension. It’s not as big as yours, so it doesn’t take as long.” (Obama, to Romney)
- “I have no idea what you’re talking about. I maybe need to get a new accountant. The idea that you get a break for shipping jobs overseas is simply not the case.” (Romney, in response to Obama’s statement that companies get incentives for shipping jobs overseas)
- “Can you say that a little louder, Candy?” (Obama, to moderator Candy Crowley, who fact-checked Romney on the spot regarding his comment that Obama did not refer to the Benghazi attack as an “act of terror”)
- “You keep on trying to airbrush history here.” (Obama to Romney, regarding Romney’s opposition to the auto industry bailout)
- “I’m gonna stop the subsidy to PBS…I like PBS, I love Big Bird, I actually like you, too…” (Romney, to moderator Jim Lehrer regarding how he would cut government spending)
- “We’ve visited the website quite a bit. And it still doesn’t work.” (Obama, in response to Romney’s suggestion that people go to the Romney website to learn about his plan)
- “Mr. President, you’re entitled, as the president, to your own airplane and your own house, but not to your own facts, all right?” (Romney, to Obama)
Did you get anything of substance out of the debates, other than debate quotes?