Summertime can be awful hard on diets. Barbecues and boardwalks and whatnot all contribute to poor choices and diet pitfalls. But Nutrisystem has provided some tips that aren’t terribly difficult to follow, and they’ll help you stay on track!
8 Summer Diet Tips from Nutrisystem
1. Focus on TODAY. This is probably the most important point, especially if you’ve had a less-than-perfect diet track record already this summer. It’s easy to beat yourself up over too many indulgences, but that kind of thinking really isn’t going to get you anywhere and could end up causing you more harm in the long run. It’s also not helpful to think too far in advance, because that can just frustrate you. A better plan is to focus on today. Start with the next meal or snack and go from there. That way, you gain control and you won’t feel defeated or overwhelmed.
2. Use your Meal Plan. When you sign up as a Nutrisystem member, you are given a Meal Plan that outlines specific foods and portions you could eat, as well as an eating schedule. Keep it handy, even if it’s something you think you know. Double-check to be sure you’re remembering all your snacks, salads, and dairy servings. And while you’re at it, you might notice that funnel cake and boardwalk fries aren’t really recommended in the Dining Out Guide, so be careful.
3. Get support. Some people are fortunate enough to have supportive spouses, partners or family members, while others may have to look for encouragement outside of their home or family environment. But either way, don’t worry: Support isn’t hard to find. Give your counselor a call and check in, or go to the Discussion Boards or the chat rooms and post an update about yourself. The responses you’ll receive will be gratifying, and they’re from people who are trying to accomplish the same thing you are. They know what you’re going through and how you’re feeling — they’re trying to stick to these summer diet tips, too!
4. Make it worthwhile. Sure, losing weight is its own reward for dieting, but why not give yourself even more of an incentive? For every 10 pounds you lose, treat yourself to a tangible (non-food) reward. Instead of rushing out now and buying a new favorite CD, or getting that manicure just yet, how about waiting until you lose 10 pounds? Something as simple as this can add a whole new level of fun and commitment to your program. Keep it simple, but remember there’s nothing wrong with treating yourself for sticking to your summer diet tips!
5. Drink up. Making sure you drink enough water every day will help you lose weight more quickly. This will help your body run more smoothly and keep your kidneys fully functioning so they don’t “pass off” work onto the liver (whose job it is to metabolize fat) – which can mean improved weight loss for you! Besides, it’s summer and you want to make sure you stay hydrated.
6. Avoid temptation. There really isn’t a reason for you to be in the cookie or potato chip aisle in the grocery store. And if you’re eating out, just say “no” when the waiter asks if you would like to see the dessert menu. Check your cabinets, too, and throw out the high-fat snacks you were saving “just in case.” Take special care to distance yourself from foods that are especially tempting for you. Don’t make this any harder than it has to be and it’ll be much easier to stick to these summer diet tips!
7. Invigorate your workout. If you’ve been going to the gym before work and spending 20 minutes on the treadmill, try something new. Go in the afternoon or after work instead, and work out on the stationary bike and the elliptical machine. Learn yoga or take a muay thai class. Find out where the bike trails are in your area. All exercise is good, but your body can get into a fitness rut if you don’t throw in some variation. Mix it up a little, and you might see different results.
8. Take time for yourself. This is tough to do, but it’s really important, especially during the summer when your energy level may be taxed more than usual. Even 10 minutes of quiet time each day can help you recharge your batteries and renew your focus — and give you newfound strength to stay committed to your weight loss goals.
I know it can be awfully difficult to stay on track, especially when you just feel like eating ice cream or saying, the heck with it, I really want some fries and a burger! Trust me, I know. But after you eat it, you don’t feel any better. In fact, you feel worse, much worse. You won’t like what you’re doing to your body and you sure don’t feel good about yourself, either. That’s why it’s kind of a double-whammy.
This past week has actually worked out to my advantage, as we’ve been going through a massive heat wave. For starters, I don’t even want to leave the house because it is disgusting out there. Plus, my sinuses are going all sorts of wacky, so I surely don’t want to go out in the heat and humidity and feel worse! So, I’ve been drinking a lot of water and my appetite has been somewhat curbed. So, I didn’t have any trouble following these summer diet tips!
Week 13 Weight Loss: 1.4 pounds! Holy guacamole! What a huge week! And, it brings me to 18.8…nice!!
Wow! That’s a huge deal, for me, as I’ve been cruising along, with .4 pounds here and .6 pounds there…but 1.4 pounds is a big deal, especially in Week 13. Oh man, I am psyched! Keep it coming, Nutrisystem, keep it coming!
If you’re interested in getting healthy (and losing a little or A LOT of weight),check out Nutrisystem or call (888) 853-4689 for more information!
**I have been selected to participate in the Nutrisystem Nation blogger program. I am not being compensated for my participation.